Carter BloodCare frequently receives questions about statistics, positions on blood donation and the constant need for a safe and sufficient blood supply.
In addition to those below provided by Carter BloodCare, a wide variety of statements from America’s Blood Centers are also available to the public.
Easy messages to use when talking about blood donation:
- Each blood donation saves three lives.
- More than 1,000 donors are needed each day to keep blood on the shelves of hospitals in North, Central and East Texas.
- Six hundred to 800 patients each day could require a blood transfusion. Many will require more than one unit of blood or blood products.
- One in seven patients admitted to a hospital could receive a blood transfusion.
- There is no substitute for human blood. Thus, there is no substitute for blood donors.
- Regularly scheduled blood donations assure there is already blood on the shelves during a disaster/crisis.
- Make a blood donation by setting up an appointment today.
- You may call or text Carter BloodCare at 800-366-2834.
- Arrange to host a blood drive by emailing BookABloodDrive@carterbloodcare.org.
29 March 2018
Sickle cell disease (SCD) is an inherited blood disorder and is associated with stroke, debilitating pain episodes, severe infections and even death. One in 500 members of the African American community has SCD and many of them are children. Frequent and chronic blood transfusions can treat and relieve pain crises and other symptoms of SCD. Chronically transfused patients often require blood from donors of similar race and ethnicity, to receive the most benefit from the transfusion. The only cure for SCD is a bone marrow transplant and not all patients are candidates for that procedure.
29 July 2016
Carter BloodCare is closely monitoring the fluid developments in the state of Florida, concerning the Zika virus. Our staff receives daily updates on newly announced Zika-risk areas. Added to the list now, are Broward and Miami-Dade counties in Florida. This is part of the pre-donation screening process.
14 November 2015
DALLAS/FORT WORTH, Texas (November 14, 2015) – Carter BloodCare joins with our larger community around the world in extending our heartfelt concerns toward the people of France, in the wake of Friday’s attacks on Paris. In times such as these, many of us want to help and that sometimes means giving blood.